Printfriendly

Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

no

Featured Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

yes

Display Instagram Footer

no

Dark or Light Style

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Shourba Hleeb (Milk Noodle Soup)



Every time I'm hungry and walking around the house complaining about how I have nothing to eat, my mother always tells me the same thing; "You sit there bragging to people about how you can cook...you have your own food blog...but you can't make yourself something to eat?" Nope. I'm too lazy. I can't help it. I'm the only girl in the house and I'm spoiled. If there's someone in the house who has the capability to make me something to eat(which is usually only my mother), I'm not going to get up and make something myself.

Plus, I love my mother's food. I refuse to even make a simple tuna fish sandwich on my own just because her sandwiches taste better. I don't know how she does it. It's not like she created the tuna, or chopped the salad a certain way, or put in any special ingredients. She just has...magical hands or something. That's the only way I can explain it.

But anyways, today when my mother told me to "kesli yedeek" after I started complaining about how I was dying of hunger, I decided that I would indeed kesel yedeeya. (For non-Algerians reading my blog, "kesli yedeek" literally translates into stretch out your hands, but basically means to go make something yourself".

Of course, I wanted to make something simple and satisfying. No peeling, chopping, dicing or slicing involved. And what easier thing to make than shourba hleeb? My mother always made this soup for me and my brothers when we were little and it was and still is a favorite of mine. And coming from someone who doesn't like soup all that much, you know this one must be good. Perfect consistency. It may look like it's light, but it's actually very hearty and filling.

Oh, and my mom is really glad I kesel-ed yedeeya. Double win.

Shourba Hleeb (Milk Noodle Soup)

Yield: 1 serving
Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients:

1 cup of water
1 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of vermicelli
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Pour water into a small saucepan. Add butter, salt, and pepper. Boil.
When the water boils, add the vermicelli. Stir occasionally. While the vermicelli is cooking, heat up the milk in a different saucepan.
In about 10 minutes or so, the vermicelli will be done.
At that point, you will add the milk to the vermicelli, and let it come to a boil.
And you're done! 

Note: The soup will feel watery at first, but the vermicelli will soak it up.)

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this soup. I am going to try it and ask dh about it ... looks like a winner for my kids enchallah!

    ReplyDelete

Follow @confessionsofaconfectionista