Printfriendly

Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

no

Featured Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

yes

Display Instagram Footer

no

Dark or Light Style

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Basic Cheesecake


A lot of times when I'm on Foodgawker, I'll click on a picture and find myself staring at a blog in a foreign language. My first reaction is almost always immediately x-ing out of the page. I just don't feel like taking the time to translate the page through some website, when I know that I won't get an accurate translation. And without an accurate translation, the recipe is pretty useless to me.


Once in a blue moon, I'll get lucky and the blog will list an English translation of their own. Even then, I'm hesitant to dwell further and possibly bookmark the recipe because ingredients aren't the same everywhere, so I worry that I won't get the same results. I took a chance with this cheesecake. All the ingredients looked pretty straightforward, except for the vanilla sugar, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist in the United States. But I figured I could just substitute it with the vanilla powder I usually use; no reason to write off the entire recipe.


Now although my cheesecake definitely did not look like the one I saw on the blog, it made up for it in taste. It was light and fluffy, and not overly sweet, and the graham cracker crust was on point. This was the first time I didn't use sugar in my graham cracker crust and I didn't notice any significant difference. This was also the first time I whipped the heavy cream with the sugar first, before incorporating it into the cheesecake batter, and I think it's the secret to the creaminess of this cheesecake.

The blog I got this recipe from calls it New York Cheesecake. I've never actually had New York Cheesecake(shocking, since I lived in New York for 13 years), but I've read that it's dense, heavy, and thick--words that I personally wouldn't use to describe this particular cheesecake. 


So I've altered the name to basic cheesecake, because I think it's a perfect starter recipe for the novice baker. It's simple, elegant, and produces very delicious results. 

Basic Cheesecake

Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients:

For the crust:
150 g graham cracker crumbs
70 g melted butter

For the filling:
650 g Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature
200 ml heavy cream
2 eggs
100 g sugar
pinch of vanilla powder
pinch of salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. (I used a 10-inch springform pan and didn't line it). Wrap exterior of the pan, including the base, in a double layer of foil (I skipped this step because I usually just place a pan of boiling water on the rack underneath the cheesecake)

In a small bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter until all crumbs are moistened. Press the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan, and up the sides, about one inch. It helps to use the bottom of a measuring cup to press the crumbs out evenly and smoothly.  Cover and refrigerate the crust while you are making the filling.

Using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy and creamy. In a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream with the sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Add to the cream cheese and beat until incorporated. Add in the eggs and salt, and beat on low just until combined. Pour the cream cheese filling into the pan, over the crust.

Place the springform pan inside a large pan. Pour boiling water into the large pan, halfway up the sides of the pan. Bake for 70-75 minutes or until sides of cake appear firm and center jiggles slightly. Turn off the oven and let the cheesecake cool in the oven for at least one hour.

Chill cheesecake in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, or overnight. Garnish with your choice of fruit before serving, if desired.

Adapted from Попробуем жизнь на вкус

Side note:  I was approached by a fellow food blogger to participate in a sweet treat link party. She had me at the word sweet. And treats. And you know I love a good party, even a virtual one. Oh, you do too? Well, come join us over here at her blog!

You Might Also Like

7 comments:

  1. Mmm. I lovee cheesecake. This one looks great. I love the fruit topping too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MashAllah I think it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about clicking and finding a different language! It's so disappointing, there are so many delicious things. Anyways, you're cheesecake looks fantastic! And the fruit on top looks so summery and bright. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you came by and linked up your cheesecake. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is my pleasure to inform you that I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog award! Visit my blog (foolwithflour.com) to get your badge. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful! I saw your post on the link party and had to come by and visit! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow it looks incredible! so rich and perfectly decorated

    ReplyDelete

Follow @confessionsofaconfectionista