Printfriendly

Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

no

Featured Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

yes

Display Instagram Footer

no

Dark or Light Style

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Jelly Roll Diploma Cake


I like this cake, but I don't like jelly rolls. Why do you think that is?

I'll give you a hint. It's not because I'm Fannee Doolee from that show ZOOM, on PBS. I know I'm not the only one who watched that show growing up. And I'm definitely not the only one who sat there confused as anything, trying to figure out why Fannee Doolee liked coffee, but not drinks, and trees, but not forests. It wasn't until a few days ago that I googled Fannee Doolee and finally found the answer to all of those questions. Apparently, Fannee Doolee only likes words with double letters. So, she likes sweets, but she doesn't like candy.

That's it? Yes, that's all there is to it. Thank you for messing with my head for years.

So if I'm not Fannee Doolee, then why do I like this cake, and not jelly rolls? Well, because, this cake is not actually a jelly roll. I mean, it is a jelly roll, in the sense that it's a sponge cake rolled into a log and that's what jelly rolls are. But I didn't actually fill it with jelly. I filled it with whipped cream and strawberries. So I guess technically speaking, that would mean that I don't like jelly jelly rolls, I like cream jelly rolls. Or jelly cream rolls? Either way, this jelly roll cake filled with cream instead of jelly, was one of the best cakes that I have ever tasted in my entire life. And I have Pinterest to thank.

I was originally planning on using my mother's jelly roll recipe, as she makes biscuit roulé very often. The thought of searching for a different recipe to use hadn't even crossed my mind. But then I randomly saw this recipe on Pinterest soon after I had decided to make this cake, and it was too coincidental for me to not think it was fate. But first I did a trial run, to test my ability to actually make a jelly roll cake, since I had no experience whatsoever. It was a success, but I guess that's pretty obvious judging by my compliments on this cake.

Not only is it super easy to make, but looks-wise and taste-wise, it's guaranteed to impress any audience. It's good enough alone, just with the strawberry cream filling and sprinkled with powdered sugar. But with a layer of vanilla frosting, it becomes phenomenal. It reminded me a lot of strawberry shortcake, so if you're a fan, then this is definitely the cake for you. And if you're not a fan, this cake will definitely make you one. 

Congratulations to one of the coolest moms I know for completing her PhD degree, while working and taking care of her husband and four children, and doing a darn good job of it!

German Strawberry Cream Roll

Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients:

3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
1/2 cup powdered(icing) sugar, sifted
1 cup sliced strawberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Spray a rimmed 15" x 10" cookie sheet or pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with waxed paper, then spray the waxing paper with cooking spray. This ensures that your cake will be easy to remove from both the wax paper and the pan when you flip it.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, corn starch, and baking powder. Set aside.

Whip egg whites with 3 tablespoons of water until stiff. Slowly whip in the sugar. Stir in egg yolks. Fold in flour mixture.

Spread batter on lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Lay a damp cloth towel on a flat surface Place a sheet of waxed paper(the same size as the pan)over the towel. Sprinkle the wax paper with a bit of powdered sugar; this keeps the cake from sticking to it.

Turn the pan over onto the waxed paper, releasing the cake. Slowly peel off the waxed paper from the cake. Trim off any crisp edges. Slowly and carefully roll up the cake and waxed paper together. The wax paper will end up coiled inside the cake. Set aside to cool.

Beat heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff. Mix strawberries with whipped cream. Unroll cooled cake. Spread with fruit/cream mixture. Re-roll the cake, this time peeling away the wax paper as you're rolling.

Place on a serving plate, seam-side down. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.

Adapted from Quick German Recipes

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. So can I just say that I watched Zoom also and wondered what the hell was wrong with that Fannee girl too. Thanks for solving that mystery, now I can rest in peace. And cake sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Follow @confessionsofaconfectionista