Printfriendly

Theme Layout

Boxed or Wide or Framed

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

no

Featured Slider Styles

Display Trending Posts

yes

Display Instagram Footer

no

Dark or Light Style

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Skinny Hummingbird Cupcakes



A lot of times when I bake something and I end up not liking it, I always debate with myself for the longest time about whether or not I should post it. On one hand, I only want to give you guys the yummiest recipes. But then on the other hand, what is yummy to me may not be yummy to you and vice versa. What it usually ends up coming down to is how nice I think my pictures are. Even the greatest recipes won't make it to the blog unless the pictures that accompany them are just as great.


Long story short, I didn't like these cupcakes. And I'll tell you why. They have pineapples in them; crushed pineapples to be precise. For some reason though, as crushed as the can says they are, they're still pretty chunky and biting into them when I was eating these cupcakes was just not pleasant for me. And since I've made a dessert prior to this one with crushed pineapples and didn't enjoy that one too much either, I think it's safe to say that I won't be using crushed pineapples in my desserts any more. They're just not my thing.

But they might be your thing, so don't let me stop you from making these cupcakes! I probably would have actually enjoyed these had there not been pineapples in them. They tasted like a cross between banana bread and carrot cake and as far as texture goes, they were moist and not too dense. Typically, hummingbird cupcakes are topped with a cream cheese frosting but since nobody in my house likes cream cheese frosting, I topped them with some leftover custard filling I had from my castle cake. 


Surprisingly enough, my brother actually preferred the ones NOT topped with anything, probably because of the scary walnuts I chopped up and sprinkled on top of the custard. Picky eater central over here. But he as well wasn't a big fan of the pineapples, and neither was my dad, so I don't see these cupcakes making another appearance in my house.


But hey, at least I did something about the bunch of super duper ripe bananas we had, so this wasn't totally in vain.


Skinny Hummingbird Cupcakes

Yield: 22 cupcakes
Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons oil
2 large eggs
pinch of vanilla powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
20 oz can crushed pineapple in juice, drained well

For the frosting:
8 oz 1/3-less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
22 pecan halves, for garnish if desired (I used chopped walnuts)


Directions:

To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk. In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add mashed bananas and crushed pineapples; mix well. Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything comes together.  

Spoon batter into muffin tin lined with cupcake liners, filling each liner about 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 350° for about 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread frosting over the cupcakes once they are cooled. Garnish each cupcake with a pecan half on top, or chopped walnuts. 

Adapted from Skinnytaste

You Might Also Like

No comments

Post a Comment

Follow @confessionsofaconfectionista